Ruth Dent Ltd, of Grove Cottage Yopps Green, Plaxtol, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15 0PY (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We take great care to ensure your information is kept safe and secure. For the purpose of the Data Protection Law the Data Controller will be Ruth Dent Ltd.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. By visiting http://www.ruthdent.com/ you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
Explanation of some of the terms used
Data Controller – means the person or entity which alone or jointly with others determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data
Data Protection Law – the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) and any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in the UK and then (ii) any successor legislation to the GDPR or the Data Protection Act 2018.
Who do we collect information about?
We collect information about our previous, current and prospective customers.
Information you give us.
You (or a third party) may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site http://www.ruthdent.com/ (our website) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our website, subscribe to our newsletter, search for a product, place an order on our website, and when you report a problem with our site.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you, whether you are a previous, current and prospective customers:
- General information such as your name, address, email address, and phone number.
- Financial information such as credit card information and bank details for processing order payments
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes, including;
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time).
- Services you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- We may collect information when you use our website including data that allows us to monitor your preferences and how you use our website. This helps us to organise our website content in order to improve your experience. The information we collect includes:
- details of transactions you carry out through our website.
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our website even if those forms are not submitted.
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of our product advertising we display to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about our goods or services that may interest you or them.
- We do not request or store sensitive information, also known as Special Category Data about you. Sensitive information includes information revealing, or about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or trade union membership, religious or philosophical beliefs, health, sex life or sexual orientation, or genetic data and biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person.
How do we use your information and why?
We may process your information for a number of different purposes, including using your personal data in order to enter into, administer and manage your order(s) including managing and performing the underlying contract with you. For each purpose we must have a legal ground for such processing. We will use your information to:
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. Legal grounds: to allow us use your information to fulfil your order(s).
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about. Legal grounds: You have given your express consent for us to do so, either through providing your consent at the point when you placed an order or by you having voluntarily signed up to receive our newsletters.
- We collect and use your personal data in order to send you our newsletter(s) or special offers or other marketing in relation to our products. Legal grounds: You having voluntarily signed up to receive our newsletters.
Disclosure of your Information
We may share your information with third parties for the following purposes:
- Suppliers and sub-contractors – but only to the extent needed for us to fulfil our contractual obligations to you.
- Analytics and search engine providers – to assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If Ruth Dent Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Safety, security and storage of your personal data
We have implemented appropriate practices to help prevent unauthorised access and correctly use the information we collect. We review our security practices periodically to consider new technology and updated methods of protecting our data.
We always seek to ensure that data which is processed on our behalf as data controller is retained within the EEA but this is sometimes difficult (for example a UK supplier may have a server based outside of the EEA). If we, our one of our suppliers, makes a transfer of your personal information outside of the EEA we will take the required steps to ensure that your personal information is protected. Such steps may include placing the party we are transferring information to under contractual obligations to protect it to adequate standards.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please send an email to:
If this policy conflicts with any written contract that we have with you then the written contract shall take precedence.
The right to access your personal information
You have the right to access a copy of the personal information we hold about you and certain details of how we use it. There will not usually be a charge for dealing with these requests.
If you would like access to such information, please write to us at Data Protection Officer, Ruth Dent Ltd, of Grove Cottage Yopps Green, Plaxtol, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15 0PY. Alternatively, where you have made the request by electronic means, the information will be provided to you by electronic means where possible.
The right to rectification
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. However, if you do not believe this is the case, you can ask us to update or amend it.
The right to erasure
In certain circumstances, you may ask us to erase your personal information.
The right to restriction of processing
In certain circumstances, you are entitled to ask us to stop using your personal information.
The right to object to marketing
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time.
How long do we keep personal information for?
As a general rule we will keep data relating to our contractual and legal relationships and dealings with our customers, suppliers and contractors for a period of 7 years after that relationship has come to an end unless there is a good reason to apply a different period.